Climate Action Tracker – website
The “Climate Action Tracker” is an independent science-based assessment, which tracks the emission commitments and actions of countries. The website provides an up-to-date assessment of individual national pledges, targets and INDCs and currently implemented policy to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.
The CAT Consortium
The CAT tracks 32 countries covering about 80% of global emissions
All the biggest emitters and a representative sample of smaller emitters covering about 80% of global emissions and approximately 70% of global population. The national actions we track are:
- Effect of current policies on emissions: The policies a government has implemented or enacted and how these are likely to affect national emission over the time period to 2030, and where possible beyond.
- Impact of pledges, targets and INDCs (link) on national emissions over the time period to 2030, and where possible beyond.
- Fair share and comparability of effort: Whether a government is doing its “fair share” compared with others towards the global effort to limit warming below 2?C.
CAT calculates global warming consequence and emissions gaps
The Climate Action Tracker assesses the total global effort of INDCs, pledges and current policies on:
- Global warming over the 21st century. Global emissions pathways consistent with government actions are analyzed and climate consequences projected using a carbon-cycle / climate model (MAGICC).
- Emissions Gap: The gap in 2020, 2025 and 2030 between the emissions levels needed to limit warming below a 2°C increase above pre-industrial levels (and to bring warming below 1.5°C by 2100) and the emissions that are projected to result from INDCs, pledges and current policies.
New Developments in course of 2015
- Can countries do more? Comparison of INDCs and current policies to emission reduction potentials based on a literature review and additional economic analysis.
- Tracking decarbonization progress: Comparison of INDCs and current policies with national and sectoral decarbonisation rates consistent with holding warming below 2oC.
The Climate Action Tracker is made possible due to the generous support from the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation and ClimateWorks. Past supporters include the ECF.