Energy [R]evolution 2012
This report provides a consistent fundamental pathway for protecting our climate through investment in renewable energy. It’s about getting the world from where we are now to where we need to be by phasing out fossil fuels and cutting CO2 emissions while ensuring energy security. To make the Energy [R]evolution real and to avoid dangerous climate change, Greenpeace, GWEC and EREC demand that the following policies and actions are implemented in the energy sector:
- Phase out all subsidies for fossil fuels and nuclear energy.
- Internalise the external (social and environmental) costs of energy production through ‘cap and trade’ emissions trading.
- Mandate strict efficiency standards for all energy consuming appliances, buildings and vehicles.
- Establish legally binding targets for renewable energy and combined heat and power generation.
- Reform the electricity markets by guaranteeing priority access to the grid for renewable power generators.
- Provide defined and stable returns for investors, for example by feed-in tariff programmes.
- Implement better labelling and disclosure mechanisms to provide more environmental product information.
- Increase research and development budgets for renewable energy and energy efficiency.